Working on this.
It isn’t going great. Everything about it is just a little off.
- Truss rod adjustment access is a bit off.
- Truss rod averages centered but not at the ends.
- There is some excessive routing in about 3 spots.
- The marker dots are almost in a line.
- Two of the dots are held together with super glue.
- The fretboard is slightly higher on one side.
- Some of the fret slots are not deep enough yet.
I was working on the fret slots while waiting for the glue on my sanding jig to dry, so I can fix the fretboard unevenness, when I noticed this:
Now I’m no expert but I think the frets should get closer together as they get closer to the heel of the neck. There is clearly one out of place.
This was supposed to be a learning experience. It has been that. I’m still going to finish it. Just use 18 of the frets.
I have plans to fix just about all of these issues. Most of them involve more careful alignment before routing anything.
I think I might capitulate on the frets and just spend the (ridiculous amount of) money and get a better fret slotting jig.
This was close enough that I’m convinced I can do this correctly.
Next attempt will likely be after the CNC is built. Thinking ambrosia flame maple fretboard on a multicolor laminate neck.